12 Months to a More Balanced Teaching Load



And we are back!

As I think about going back to school and the busyness that it entails, I dream about a time when school will be less stressful, where a teacher could leave the classroom feeling ready for the next day, and how those goals might be accomplished.

For the first several years of my teaching, I could never seem to get a handle on the workload.  The prep.  The grading.  The copies.  The paperwork.  The lesson creation.  The parent contact.  The discipline.  The tutoring. 

The stress. 

Then, I realized I was lacking balance.  I was going to burn out.  So, I put some systems in place to help me find that balance. 

With this I mind, I would like to share with you how I was able to find a more balanced teaching load and encourage you in some of these same steps.

Each month we will be focusing on one task or challenge if you will.  The goal being that over the period of the month, it becomes a habit that you continue.  At the end of the year, there will be 12 potential new habits that will help you to find balance. 

Who is with me?  I will remind you throughout the month at the midway point and the wrap up the month with a way to celebrate the progress we have made.  Mine might be a bit different, now that my role has changed, but I think you get the idea.

September:  5 Things Everyday

John Maxwell, an incredible writer on leadership and business, coined the term the Rule of 5.  The basic idea is that there is a series of 5 things that we do everyday that are critical to our success. 

“Its better to do the right thing everyday, rather than the right thing some days.” John Maxwell

Intentionality and consistency.

He speaks about it here. 

I want us to be challenged this month to purposefully choose 5 things that we will do daily that are integral to our success in the classroom. 

My Rule of 5:
1.     build relationships: husband, son, friends, bloggers, teachers
2.    learn something new:  listen to a podcast, read a book/article, watch a youtube video
3.    spend time with God: prayer, read the Bible, memorizing scripture
4.    create: ideas, write, things for the classroom
5.    smile:  choose joy

Spend time today thinking about what 5 things can do daily that are integral to your success. 

Will you be joining me on the 12-month journey to a more balanced teaching load?  Be sure to share your Rule of 5 in the comments below and help others brainstorm.